Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort

It’s famous Soviet cake from Ukraine. The symbol of this cake (and Kiev – the capital of Ukraine) is a branch of chestnut tree with flowers. This cake has very crunchy texture and rich creamy taste. Eat it with big cup of hot tea or coffee.

There is a legend that one of the Soviet confectioners forgot to put the egg whites into refrigerator before leaving work. When he returned the next day, he discovered that they fermented. In order not to discard the product, he decided to do something with them. And this “something” eventually became the famous Kiev cake with nuts and chocolate cream. This recipe adapted from ГОСТ (set of technical standards in USSR) by very talented confectioner Chadeyka.

My cake decor is not really good, but the taste!

Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort

3/4 cup (150ml) milk
17 1/2 tbsp. (2 stick + 2 tbsp.) (250g) butter
2 tsp. (10g) cocoa powder
1 package vanilla sugar
1 tbsp. brandy or cognac

Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort

Leave egg whites for 12-24 hours in a warm place covered or uncovered to fermented.

The next day:

Mix 4 1/2 tbsp. of flour, 1 cup toasted and chopped nuts (cashews or hazelnuts) and 3/4 cup of sugar.

Beat whites in a soft picks, add 1/4 cup sugar and 1 packet of vanilla sugar, whisk again for hard picks. Add a mixture of nuts and gently mix. Spread mixture in two pans (9 inches), lined with paper.  I used one rectangular pan. The height of the batter should be 4/5 in (2 cm).

Bake at 300F about 2 hours both in same time. Leave cake for 12-24 hours to structure and only then peel off the paper. Cut the top of the layers to obtain a smooth surface. Use remained crumbs to decorate the sides of cake.

Frosting:

Remove the butter from the fridge. Prepare the syrup. Mix milk with egg in a saucepan very well. Add the sugar, set on heat and bring to a boil. Cook 4-5 minutes. Finished syrup looks like sweet condensed milk. Pour the syrup into a bowl, cover and cool to room temperature.

Beat the butter in a big bowl with vanilla sugar until fluffy. Add the syrup by tablespoon at a time, whisking. Separate 1/3 of frosting, mix with two teaspoons of cocoa powder, whisk. Add a 1 tbsp. of brandy in the white cream and whisk.

Place one layer on a sheet of waxed paper. Add 2/3 of the remaining white frosting and cover with another layer. Cover cake with 2/3 chocolate frosting. Decorate the sides of cake with crumbs (I added some pistachios). Decorate top of the cake with remaining frosting. The cake must be cooled for at least a couple of hours.

Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort
Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort

13 Responses to “Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort”

1. AnaVS says:

Someday i will try to do it, i love this cake !

2. Don says:

Hi Olga,
    We love this cake, and I’d like to try your recipe, bu can you clarify what “1 package vanilla sugar” is and where do you buy it?
    Thanks!
    Don

3. Olga says:

Hi!
    Vanilla sugar can be bought in the supermarket in section of the Polish or German products (like dr.Oetker), but you can just put vanilla bean in sugar and let it stand for some days. It’s about 1 1/2 – 2 tsp. vanilla sugar in package.

4. It’s amazing how many different ways you can make a kiev cake, but I’ve never tried one that I was disappointed with. It’s probably my all-time favorite cake! I have a recipe posted for kiev cake too. I really like your idea for the cashews or hazelnuts in the cake. Do you ever have problems with the crunch meringue layer losing volume due to the nuts?

5. Olga says:

Hi and thanks for looking. I was preparing it according to GOST recipe and everything turned out perfect.

6. olga says:

Hi there, dear name-sake! It is truly a fantastic site, and i go to it often for inspiration. I hope you can help me with one big predicament, which is – my dad is turning 90 in April. He loves Kiev tort! But he lives in Portland, OR, and I am not sure the cake will travel well.. Also, I would like to have quite a big one for his BD party, and i do not think i am up to the job. Can you help me?

7. Olga says:

Hi and thanks for looking. I am only publishing the recipes that I tried, so if you have any questions about the recipe itself, please don’t hesitate to ask.

8. […] a watermelon, but collect seeds for feeding birds, and rinds for candy. Most soviet cakes, like Kiev cake, are often decorated with candied watermelon rinds. So, this is crunchy, sweet-n-sour things with a […]

9. […] brownies lollipops White Cranberry-Cashew Truffles Russian Cookie Crumb Cake–Muraveinik (Anthill) Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort Paris Brest Cake Ring Yule Log – Buche de […]

10. […] Kulich (Russian Easter Bread) Kulich with cream of the wheat Russian Easter Bread with Ricotta – Kulich s Tvorogom Russian Easter Bread with Poppy Seeds and Sour Cream – Kulich s Makom Kiev cake or Kievskiy Tort  […]

11. Delia says:

Hi Olga,

Do you usually add jam to this recipe too?

12. Delia says:

By the way, thanks for sharing this great recipe!

13. Olga says:

Hi! It’s old Soviet recipe which I always made step by step only. I think, there is no jam in it, it’s very sweet by itself.
    Thanks for looking :)